Climb Shetland Annual General Meeting 2010

Date: Friday 26th November

Venue: Islesburgh Community Centre

Present: Robina Barton, Stuart Barton, Richard Ferguson, Andrew Hunter, Andy Long, Julie Maguire, Nathalie Pion, Layla Sawford, Pete Sawford, Jonathan Swale.

Apologies: Kevin Learmonth, Ruby Price, Al Whitworth, Paul Whitworth.

The meeting was chaired by Andy Long in the absence of Al Whitworth (snowbound in Eshaness!)

1) Minutes of Previous meeting: Andy apologised for the fact that there were no minutes from 2009 meeting.

2) Presentation of accounts: The accounts have been audited an the total monies (account and cash) currently stand at £743.22. The bank provided copy statements for missing ones from the previous year at a cost of £60.00. AL noted the curious fact that the amount collected at the wall seldom agrees with the sign-sheet but that the error is always in favour of the club.

3) 2010 report: AL presented the 2010 report. It had been a fairly quiet one, some of the key members being less active than in previous years. There were four trips off the islands, to the Cairngorms, Roy Bridge Derbyshire and Skye. Local meets took place at South Gill and Muckle Hell.

4) Plans for 2011: The winter trip will be from 4th – 12th February based once more at Tigh-Bheag chalets in Roy Bridge. The trip will include climbing and winter hillwalking. Aonach Mor ski centre is also nearby. Some members are intending to stay on longer if conditions are good, staying in bunkhouses. We don’t expect any grant assistance this year (see later). Anyone interested should contact PS. There may be a summer trip abroad, possibly to Spain. This will be discussed at a later date. Members pointed out that they would like to have more club meets/social events throughout the year. The first weekend of every month is proposed, to include both days so that members will have a choice.RB will lead on this. AL is intending to organise some beginners’ days, to give new members the opportunity to do some outdoor climbing. Help would be welcome with this. Equipment is something of a problem. It could possibly be borrowed from Pete Richardson but AL suggested getting four harnesses and helmets. We may get a grant for this. Also LS has a lot of fundraising experience. Equipment needs to be discussed at a future meeting. AL has been buying chalk balls when away South an giving them out at the wall at no charge. JM suggested with tongue-in-cheek that new members should be presented with a chalk ball.

5) Grants: The SIC is currently reviewing its grant policy and the outlook is not good in the present financial climate. Big Lottery grants are a possible alternative. Their “Awards for All” scheme is a fast-track route for grants up to £5000.00. AL to find out more.

6) Climbing Wall: The wall sessions are currently paying handsomely because of unprecedented usage. This is partly because of the August open day and partly because of people coming along to do an induction session with AL if they’ve missed one on the induction courses. Clickimin staff are now telling people who enquire to come along on a Monday night. People have had to be turned away on occasion. The current block booking for two hours was made when the wall was not very busy. SB noted that members would be happy to help out with beginners if they had an extra hour for themselves afterwards. It was pointed out that members are at liberty to book the following hour on an ad-hoc basis if it’s available. AL stated that he needed to organise some more induction courses and possible beginners’ sessions. There is a pressing need for some new routes. PS will arrange a day in the near future.

7) Children and vulnerable adults: A new system of CRB checking is being implemented. Those checked will go on a register which will be automatically updated with any subsequent imposed limitations or convictions. You or anyone you work for can ask for an update any time without having to go through the complete process for each and every organisation. Moreover, it’s no longer necessary to be disclosed if the outfit you’re involved with is aimed at adults, but minors happen to turn up on occasion This isn’t true of Climb Shetland, which has publicised youth sessions. Some of our members will have to go through the system eventually.

8) Website: AW will continue to manage the website. He is happy to receive comments and suggestions.

9) Guidebooks: The mini-guides are currently £2.50. AW suggested they could be made available to members for free. AL will speak to AW about getting access for members. AW suggested setting up a Climb Shetland Wiki. AH will lead on this.

10) Election of officers: The following officers were agreed: Chair: Stuart Barton Secretary/Club meets: Robina Barton Treasurer: Andy Long Wall: Andrew Hunter Website: Al Whitworth Officer without portfolio; Julie Maguire