Are there lower grade routes on Shetland?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    #10531 |

Dear All,
    I may soon be relocating to Shetland having recently been offered a job close to Lerwick. Im a fairly novice but rapidly improving wall climber, mid thirties male. Touring the island Im concerned most routes are Extreme or Severe grades. Are there easier routes on Shetland for newbies to improve on? Does the club visit them? Are there any bolted routes on Shetland? What rock type do you usually climb on? Is loose rock a problem? Im sure, given the rapidly changing nature of the weather on the Islands, climbing inevitably occurs in the wet, is this a biggie for a newbie? How often does the club meet and how many guys and gals are you?

Sorry for all these questions! Id be really pleased for your feedback as climbing is a hobby Im very keen to get into now.

All Best

Participant
    #10532 |

Hi Spiderman
    Shetland has all kinds of rocks and all grades of climbing from v.diff (fortunately for numpties like me) upwards, and a couple of bolted crags. We climb outdoors whenever the weather is OK, i.e. mainly in spring and summer – it isn’t always wet up here and we always welcome newbies

Participant
    #10533 |

Yup, agree with Jonathan. There are plenty of easier routes and a few “friendly” crags and yes, we go to those areas. Last year we developed a new crag which would make a superb venue for learning to lead.

That said, and this is true of sea cliffs generally, Shetland climbing can have a big, serious feel whatever the grade of climb. Eshaness may be single-pitch but anything more different from a Gritstone edge would be hard to find. You need to be able to look after yourself, which at the very least means being able to abseil safely and efficiently.

Wet rock is a biggie for newbies and old hands alike, so we don’t do it as a rule. Some of the rock here is lethally slippery when wet. Much of our time is spent on new routes so, yes, loose and friable rock is always a consideration.

The number of climbers here varies greatly. A fair number go to the wall but there’s a hard core of about a dozen who go out climbing. About half of those are long-established climbers with all their own gear.

You’ll find climbing in Shetland an unusual experience as you’ll probably be involved in exploration from the word go.

Hope to see you soon.

Andy

#10534 |

Cheers guys, Im fairly competent with the ropework, just the climbing that’s the problem!..I hope to see you soon.

Keymaster
    #10535 |

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Bit of a delayed reply as I’ve been wandering around dressed as a viking all weekend. You’ll find that Shetland has a bit of everything when it comes to climbing so there’s plenty of choice. Have you found our other site http://www.shetlandclimbing.info ? Sign up and have a browse around. The “About” pages will give you an idea of what’s up here, and the blog and articles an idea of what we get up to.

See you soon
    Al

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.