British climbing's best kept secret?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Ross
    Participant
    #9622 |

Excellent write up Al.

I’m referring to Al’s article published in the July edition of 60 North Magazine (pages 48-51). Link at the bottom of post for those of you who haven’t seen it.

It is interesting that when we have reported ascents in the passed these have tended to drop to footnote behind the latest micro problem some where in the Peaks. In a reflective mode I don’t think it is a “best kept secret”, after all Shetland Climbing Info is an open source that Al, Andrew and Paul have put together, but I think climbing here is just well off people’s radar due to the perceived reward based on the effort to get here.

Well this year we have already clocked up well over a 100 new routes.

One question though, has anyone actually climbed at “Shetland’s most popular crag” this year? šŸ˜‰

Link:
    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?eid=7ff22695-09c4-4bf8-a055-5ee110538f3c

Al
    Keymaster
    #9623 |

Cheers Ross. I originally wrote the article for Scottish Mountaineer and this is a stripped down and localised version. Agree on the “best kept secret” – not my choice of title! Yeah Shetland’s most popular crag hasn’t seen much attention this year from us lot, although I know of folk that have been there! But it is still the crag that’s had the most ascents I think.

Ross
    Participant
    #9624 |

I see, editorial choice came into play with the title!

By “had the most ascents” you mean repeat ascents of routes? There are only 27 routes there.

I would have thought that the Grind would have trumped that quite easily in terms of the number of ascents and repeats? Mind you I’ve only climbed at the Grind once – oh I’ve missed so much….. As for “the most popular crag”, I’ve still not had the pleasure.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9625 |

Yeah, had the most repeats (you know, that counts as climbing too!) You’ll be surprised how many times others have been to Bannaminn! It’s one of the best crags for an evening’s “cragging”. Nothing too exciting and adventurous but perfect rock, a short walk in and can be climbed on all year round.

I’ve certainly been to the Grind more than Bannaminn but don’t think that’s the case for most folk. The Grind’s season is very short too – it only comes into condition late May and usually out again in September.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.