Climb Shetland Annual General Meeting 2011

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4674 |

‘Paul, don’t be like that. If you want to discuss the future of the club then I’m sure Bina will accommodate that, but from what I have seen you haven’t proposed that yet? It doesn’t need to be dressed up as AOB’

Jay Lo, I did say earlier in the thread that I’d like to discuss the future of the club, I don’t know if that falls into AOB or whether it can be added onto the agenda? It is after all a big subject for debate and perhaps doesn’t need to dominate the AGM, and I’m not a member so as Andy pointed out ‘non-members are not entitled to a say, though they can always turn up as observers.’

My above post was more about the fact that maybe its simpler for the club to carry on as-is, and like you said, ‘It’a an AGM, what’s there to discuss?’

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4677 |

Paul, I realise that you mentioned about the direction of the club, just I don’t think it was clearly offered as an agenda item – as Bina had asked. That wasn’t intended as a dig, just out of all the posts I don’t think anyone (me included) had actually offered anything for the agenda. Apologies, probably me splitting hairs.

If people think its a discussion that need to be addressed then it’s certainly a discussion worth having. My personal take on is that it that should be on-going feedback, a topic that can be discussed whenever. I can see my veiw isn’t shared by everyone, but that’s fine. If it’s to be a AGM topic then all well and good.

On the subject directly. From what I understand membership is up on last year and the finances are healthy, we are getting out reguraly and climbing and have trips south planned for this winter and a plan is formulating for the Lakes in the summer. I don’t know, does anyone feel we can improve on that or could we be doing somethings better?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4678 |

If we are going to have items for discussion outside of AGM business, then I would like to offer the following:
    Bolt fund
    Drytooling venue
    The jay_lo award (awarded to the best looking and most able Geordie climber in the club – anually)

Al
    Keymaster
    #4680 |

I know it appears to be outside the normal AGM items, but it is how we’ve done it since starting in 2004. I appreciate that the club may well be going well in terms of wall users, outdoor trips and trips away but that’s not necessarily what Paul was meaning – there are other aspects of the club. Personally, I’m not sure it accommodates everyone as well as it could do – its not a criticism, but a few ideas I have to open it up a bit. I may well be away a lot in the next few years, as I have been in the past few, and may not live in Shetland all the time, but I still want to support and be a part of the club. I get so many emails through the website from climbers living in Shetland, visiting Shetland to see family etc. They all use the website, some go to the wall, and all have an interest in Shetland climbing and want to support it, but few of these people join the club.

From all the AGMs I’ve organised for the club until 2009 the agenda items were generally: chair overview, treasurer overview, membership fees, equipment, Shetland trips, trips away, indoor wall sessions, website and usually ending with the unpopular appointment of committee when everyone starts to look shifty and stares at the floor to avoid having to volunteer!! I personally think all those items should be on the agenda. If there’s nothing to say on each then you move on, but it allows members to comment on how they see it, and the meetings were generally quite short, as long as someone chairs the meeting properly to avoid conversations getting out of hand or off topic. Most of those items would normally fall into a “general meeting” and not the AGM, but its always been hard enough convincing people to come to 1 meeting let alone 2! But, as we’ve done in the past we could go for a pint after a wall session and discuss it then (we’ve even done an AGM that way before!) or leave non-AGM items till the meal/beer. I don’t mind.

Anyway, sorry that was so long but just trying to explain – its easy to read posts in the wrong way and think people are having a go when they’re not.

rockhopper
    Participant
    #4681 |

Cheers for that Al. We have been going for a pint in the Marlex after climbing finishes at 2100 for most of the year. ALl are invited to join us. We’ll be at the wall then pint after tonight too.

Al
    Keymaster
    #4682 |

maybe will do actually, probably for a beer rather than a climb!!

Al
    Keymaster
    #4554 |

Haha, the forum has (automatically) marked this thread as a “very hot topic” with a flame symbol. How appropriate!

rockhoppers mate
    Participant
    #4689 |

Ok peeps, I think the proper way to do things is to have a very short AGM which covers those things that have to happen in an AGM (reports, election of office bearers etc) immediately followed by a regular meeting at which other things can be discussed. A number of items have cropped up that should go on the regular meeting agenda but realistically may deserve more time than we are likely to have on the 9th. I’m going to draft agendas for both the AGM and the regular meeting this weekend. We can all take a look, and then decide whether we want to a) discuss everything at the regular meeting b) let some discussion overflow into the chinese or c) have another meeting to discuss some things in more depth.
    Hope that’s ok with everyone 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #4690 |

Personally I think we should all be locked on an island with a set of hexes each and fight to the death to be crowned dictator-for-life of Climb Shetland!! 😛

Failing that, I think that’s a good idea Bina! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.