Climbing Wall – temporary closure.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #12194 |

Got a call from Robbie today to tell me that the wall is going to be closed for – they think – a couple of weeks. An HSE/UIAA directive via Scott Muir apparently. They’ve found some fatigue cracks in rope-hang bolts somewhere and decided they all need replacing as a precaution.

Al
    Keymaster
    #12195 |

err, ok! That doesn’t really make sense though.

longa
    Participant
    #12199 |

I don’t understand either. I can’t find any reference to it on UKC or anywhere. According to Robbie “…it’s like when that bolt fell out of the ceiling…

But that’s what they told me!

Al
    Keymaster
    #12200 |

To be geeky about it, those bolts are rated for shearing at about 20kn, same as the biners and hangers. The forces in top roping are about 2kn but that’s spread over 2 bolts. So I find it hard to believe. Even with fatigue cracks, it’s not dangerous, just worth replacing as a precaution next time they’re up.

Anyway, it is what it is. A lot of money to get someone up to replace a dozen bolts though – take an hour at most.

longa
    Participant
    #12202 |

That’s probably why it’s not become a major issue. Everywhere else is presumably just changing them when they re-route.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #12203 |

Maybe they’ll re-route at the same time?

Al
    Keymaster
    #12209 |

Any updates on this Andy?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #12210 |

Hi, I had the same question, any new about the wall for tomorrow?

longa
    Participant
    #12211 |

Spoke to them yesterday. Couldn’t get much news, just something about “the guy was coming up but the boat was cancelled because of the weather”.

Al
    Keymaster
    #12212 |

Thanks for checking Andy.

longa
    Participant
    #12213 |

Spoke to Robbie again this morning. They’re waiting for the parts to arrive but reckon that their own maintenance people could then do the job in an hour.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #12214 |

So no one is coming up and they remain at least 6 months overdue for their “twice yearly” structural check and route setting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.