Deep Water Soloing venue – Scatness

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4307 |

Hello All,

Just in case you are interested in this sort of activity, I was out the other day on Scatness and found a good Deep Water solo route. It is HU 388083, just below the Broch. Scramble down to the East of the fort to opposite a small rocky island. The line climbs a rising undercut ramp above deep water finishing up a black streaked wall. The rock is solid sandstone with great friction and a hint of conglomerate, but the pebbles seem pretty well set. 20/05/12 “DW, Brace, Brace, Brace.” 12m 5a S0. I had some pals in kayaks to provide support in the event of a splashdown… There are get-out spots at either end of the cliff, if required.

I will attempt to get a photo onto the site somehow.

Regards,

Graham Stein

Al
    Keymaster
    #5250 |

Nice one, cheers Graham. Are you living up here or just visiting? I bought a wetsuit this year and done a few deep water traverses and problems in Eshaness but not found much actual climbing so far. A few of us have wetsuits now so may well get into it a bit more, its great fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #5252 |

I’m working down at Sumburgh airport, but only here about 2 weeks in 8. I’ll be back in July for a fortnight. Hope you all enjoy the good weather that seems to be forecast in the coming week…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.