July Trip (11-13th)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Al
    Keymaster
    #9257 |

Next months trip was due to be to Foula, but I’m struggling to get my head around how to do it. The ferry only operates Tuesday and Thursday so not really an option for most folk.

Flying over, we could get there Friday afternoon and back on Monday morning, but that still means taking some time off work for most. (leave 1620 fri, back 1055 mon). Cost £75 return but possible issue with gear, and limited to 7 spaces.

CY Charters want £550 each way which is just too much.

What do folk reckon?

Ross
    Participant
    #9259 |

Your initial suggested dates were over the weekend of 12-13 July. These work for me but not for Clare. The weekend of 19-20 July are good for both of us.

I notice that the ferry also operates on a Saturday at this time of year so there is an option of going out on the Saturday and coming back on the Tuesday.

One option is for me to go out on the Thursday boat with a large amount of kit and come back on the Tuesday, I’d be happy enough scoping out the place on Friday, although if someone else was out then that would be even better. If Clare was coming out she would fly on the Friday as she will be working until 18th then fly back or get the boat.

One challenge could be if the boat was cancelled for a couple of days those flying would need to do a repack and camp very lightweight with out the climbing gear going out.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9300 |

OK, so anyone any more thoughts on this? Bit sparse on here!!

Having spoken to people, and in light of the Foula transport issues (plus flight problems at the mo) I think Papa Stour will be a better bet. Foula can wait another year and we can organise it properly further in advance.

Ferries to Papa leave Friday night and Sat morn, returning Sunday night. We need to book these very soon, so please let me know if you want to come.

As for dates, we’ll stick with 12-13 as there is a gig on in Fetlar the following weekend.

pete s
    Participant
    #9304 |

im going to paddle in Thursday as that’s my week off,any one coming to fetlar on 19th get your tickets fast as its going to be a hell of a gig and they are going fast

Ross
    Participant
    #9332 |

I don’t think I’ll be coming out to Papa Stour that weekend. It is a beautiful place. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #9333 |

For some reason I thought I’d already posted on here!

I should be fine for that. Will confirm this evening once I’ve checked my busy social calendar! 😛

Al
    Keymaster
    #9337 |

OK. Think I’ll just leave folk to book their own ferries then. We’ll probably head out Friday evening and back Sunday.

Where shall we camp? Somewhere around Hamnavoe? I know there’s some climbing at Breigeo nearby.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #9389 |

Forgot to reply the other night. I’ll be coming.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9419 |

I just checked the only self catering on PS and it’s booked those days, so camping it is…

Al
    Keymaster
    #9449 |

Well forecast looks ok so far. Spent 2 hrs trying to get through to the booking office but ended up emailing and now booked on Friday night 1800 back Sunday night 1845.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9450 |

So as Jonathan’s now coming, I’ll paddle in, meaning there’s a free space on the ferry. Do you want it Andy? Otherwise I’ll cancel.

The climbing is mainly in the south at Breigeo. http://shetlandclimbing.info/?trad-crag=papa-stour

Al
    Keymaster
    #9462 |

Great weekend! It’s definitely another one to do again. Shame P&J left early, turned out the wind dropped and swell and tides were fine this afternoon too.

We climbed some great new routes around Breigeo on Saturday in the sunshine. 7 new routes in all I think all on immaculate rock and well worth goind back to. We repeated some of Simon Calvin’s routes there too which were really good lines, although we found them easier than the grades. There will be more to do at Breigeo next time.

Today we just went for a walk around the rest of the island which was really good to do, such an amazing coastline. We have found another crag too which will remain undisclosed until next year’s club trip! It’s similar to the Grind in terms of style and rock with a main wall of half a dozen 25m cracklines probably HVS/E1 ish, and other walls with easier lines dotted around, all well off the sea and you can scramble down to the routes.

If you have photos then add them to the site and I’ll create a new gallery to put them in…

Ross
    Participant
    #9464 |

I think Simon (not suprising based on the number of resisdents) struggled for climbing partners when he lived there or just never spotted the crags. Glad to hear you found something worth while.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.