Gary Latter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #4358 |

Anybody know what he got done when he was here the other week. They had good weather. Ran into him in Monty’s.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5548 |

Gary Latter’s been up again!?? It’s amazing the number of climbers that come here that nobody knows about!

He didn’t say where they’d been in Monty’s?

Al
    Keymaster
    #5569 |

Just had a message back from Gary, sounded like they had a good time:

Grind:

Navir Again 30m E4 6a ***
    A stunning pitch up the west pillar. Start just left of the base of Da Droiltin Tree . Climb the arete to good incut ledge (unprotected, but straightforward), then by a combination of the crack and right arete to good ledge. Pull out right onto the slab, step left (good Camalot 0.1 in small pocket) and round to good holds on the slab out left. Continue veering rightwards past several breaks to the top.
    Gary Latter 31 July 2012

I think this could have been one of my projects, but I didn’t expect it to go that hard so could be a different line – I’ll try to find out.

Ponder was confirmed at E4 6a *, sustained crux with fiddly protection. It’s first repeat I think.

Two Tone (given E1 5b – Paul) was thought to be E3 5c *. Ross thought E2 5c if I remember right.

Da Droiltin Tree – confirmed at E1 5b. HVS up to final section, then difficult finish. I’d already upgraded it in 2008.

Kyrje E2 5c, **, The Udge – perhaps 5c.

They also climbed quite a few lines at the Lighthouse, with a few grade/star change suggestions, but no new routes.

longa
    Participant
    #5580 |

Da Droiltin’ Tree. Now E1 5b eh? I originally gave it VS 4c. Looking back, I was after the line that became Nibbek but I think it was wet. So I did the “easier” line to the left. Perhaps because of that I’ve always seen it as second best, forgetting what a good route it actually is. I got a similar feeling about “Puissance” at Nibon when I did it with Pete last year.

Al
    Keymaster
    #5581 |

Yeah I think your comment when I upgraded it when I did it was “E1 5b? If you say so…” Ross confirmed it a day later too. I loved it – nails finish though. I think Paul really enjoyed it too… 😉

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5582 |

I didn’t think the route we looked at would’ve gone E4 either Al.. but it does sound like the same one.

Al
    Keymaster
    #5583 |

I’ve asked Gary to clarify, but its one of these two lines… The yellow one is what I was looking at (about E2 I think, but only abbed some of it and not tried moves)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6079735/Grind%20E4.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #5584 |

It could be the yellow one Al, maybe we are just rubbish at grading routes. If Two tone is E3 I’d be interested on the grade of The Overhangmans Noose at Lunning that I climbed in 2007 with Pete, I actually did grade that E3 5c!

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5585 |

Was that the royal ‘we’ Mr. W??

There was that one at Nibon too…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #5586 |

Nibon one still gives me nightmares! Still recon low in the grade E3 there though. The route next to it still needs doing, I chickened out after getting up 4m above a mat, too scared to do the crux without gear and couldn’t figure out how to ‘set up’ to make a dynamic move to the pocket… E5 6a I think for that one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.