June Trip – Muckle Roe – 11-12th

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
    Keymaster
    #12523 |

Looking good. Johnathan, are you thinking of going up Friday or Saturday?

I’ll have boat on trailer ready to go at East Voe marina.

Participant
    #12524 |

Cool andy that would be great thanks 🙂
    Where and when do we meet?
    Is it there?
    http://shetlandclimbing.info/?trad-crag=muckle-roe

Keymaster
    #12525 |

Yes Gwyd, that’s the best walk-in from the end of the road. You can take cars some of the way if you take the other track a few km before the end, but not the best. This is the description on ShetlandClimbing.info. Our berlingo and Ross’s golf have managed it almost all the way to the Hams in the past. Just depends how much you like your car.

Participant
    #12526 |

I’ve finally reappeared from the remote edges of Orkney.

Gwyd, thanks for the offer to climb on Friday. I’m not now planning to head out Friday evening as I’m knackered.

Pete, yes that would me great to stay over with Julie and you. I’ll see you at the ferry.

Kevin, as Al has mentioned, can I catch a lift in on the boat as I’m limited on the walking and paddling front. I don’t have life jacket with me. I assume you will have a spare with you.

Gwyd I liked my Golf and yes made it in to the barn with out a problem. Although the Diesel that I have now is lower slung and would find it more challenging.

Participant
    #12527 |

no worries Ross 🙂

turns out i’m not working this weekend so can camp!

getting confused now though.. the 11th – 12th is Saturday – Sunday, whats this about a Friday?
    me and maybe Pete’s plan was to turn up Saturday morning try scrounge a lift for the camping kit at some point and camp but don’t know what anyone else is doing now?

was the plan to camp/climb at the hams further north at the end of the track? or are we going here?
    http://shetlandclimbing.info/?trad-crag=muckle-roe

basically it’s just when, where and how that I’m not sure on..?

Participant
    #12528 |

I don’t think anyone has climbed at Picts Ness except people with me. I would say climb at the crags near to the Hams.

Friday? That was Jonathan’s question to Kevin. I’ll be looking for lift in on Saturday morning.

Kit arrangements will be determined by Kevin’s timetable.

Still a few gems to climb in Muckle Roe 😏

Participant
    #12529 |

ok, so Saturdays deffinalty the plan, i’d be a little sad if we turned up as everones was packing up to go cos i got the day wrong ha,

Participant
    #12530 |

Ross im driving from lerwick sat morn give me a ring

Participant
    #12531 |

I’m going on Saturday Kevin – I’ll come and get the boat about 9

Keymaster
    #12532 |

OK to clarify then! We’re camping at the Hams, not Picts Ness. Less climbing but a nicer spot. Those paddling or taking boats meet at 10 at the Muckle Roe marina (just before the bridge over to Muckle Roe). If you’re walking or driving out see the access notes on the SCi website.

Bring food for a BBQ if you want. Who’s bringing the bbq?

Looks likely that me and Aurore can come now, but we’ll not be there by 10.

#12533 |

So Al can I pick up a boat and paddles on Saturday about 9am? And cags? Do you have buoyancy aids or are you wearing them on the boat? If you just leave the stuff out we won’t have to wake you from your slumber!

Keymaster
    #12534 |

Ross – Yes I’ll bring some spare life jackets.

I’ll also take a tarp to keep gear dry in the boat.

Keymaster
    #12535 |

Ok. Jonathan and me will be at Muckle Roe Marina by about 10am. Boat can carry total of 400 kg incl. people and gear. So allowing for me and Ross I’ll be able to take round about 250kg, so may not have enough room for kitchen sink, sun loungers and slackline kit…

BBQ, sounds good. I’ll bring charcoal and kindling, foil, big pan and fish grill thing. May be able to turn up some mackerel (but not guarenteed!). I’ll take in 25 litre water container so that shoud help reduce other peoples carry-in weight.

How many people are bring ropes?

Not sure I’m able for much lead climbing as my knee is still a bit sore, I’ll bring a medium rack, but leave my ropes.

Keymaster
    #12536 |

Yep that’s fine. Just have 1 cag. If you could find BAs that’d be good so I can have them for the boat. If not I have a flotation jacket I can use.

Participant
    #12537 |

i’ll have ropes, rack and minimalist camping stuff, but I can carry a reasonable amount of this if space is an issue. 🙂

AndrewAndrew
    Keymaster
    #12538 |

I’ll be coming. Be good to offload at least my climbing gear onto Kevin’s boat as my knees are playing up at the moment and I doubt I can carry that plus all my camping kit.

Probably a good idea to negotiate at the boat how many ropes etc kevin takes, so the poor man isn’t swamped! 😉

Participant
    #12539 |

I’ll bring a cool box and freezer blocks for Barbie food if Kevin can fit it on the boat. All my other gear should fit in the kayak

Participant
    #12540 |

I don’t have a rack or ropes, I’d bring your ropes Kevin and the discard them at the kit sort at the boat if there is too much kit.

Participant
    #12541 |

I’m taking ropes & rack. Drop it and my camping gear at marina at 10.00, then walk over from road end.

#12542 |

I’ll be bringing my ropes and rack. Me, christine and her friend Matt will be at the marina at ten as well to sort out gear. I can bring some haddock and scallops caught earlier this week for the bbq, which hopefully Jonathon can fit in his cool box.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.