June Trip – Muckle Roe

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Al
    Keymaster
    #9115 |

I know it’s a bit early still but thought I’d post up so folk can plan etc. Dates are 7th – 8th June.

We were thinking to camp and climb at Muckle Roe, camping at The Hams. It is possible to drive out there, so I’ll check it’s ok with the crofter, but some folk were planning to paddle round, and I may even take the boat so we have options to get to sea stacks.

There isn’t much climbing we know of around the Hams but Picts Ness is only 20 mins walk away and there are stacks near the Hams, and no doubt some potential walls once we’ve had a look from kayaks.

I’d suggest heading out Friday evening and back on Sunday. What do people think?

pete s
    Participant
    #9121 |

yes lokking forward to this

Fat Git
    Participant
    #9122 |

Sounds good to me

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #9123 |

Yeah, should be fine for me.

Ross
    Participant
    #9125 |

It should work out nicely, although my friends who are up will probably be catching the Sat night ferry off the island so we may climb one of the stacks on Friday and the other first thing Sat to make sure they are away on time. So there should be a tyrolean set up for those of you who fancy a leisure access to it!

Are you going to bring the slack line Al?

Ross
    Participant
    #9133 |

Will probably only be there for the Friday night and Saturday daytime now as have lots happening. Still have the Tame Holm in mind for Saturday morning though.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9136 |

OK, sounds good. I still haven’t got round to asking the crofter permission to use the track, and also need to ask the guy if I can use his jetty at South Ham for the boat.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9194 |

Quick planning session at Mareel after the wall tonight?

North Isles: “Perhaps a mainly dry, bright weekend with light winds.” Hope so, was looking like it would be windy.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9207 |

I’ve spoken to Martin Nicolson about using the track and it’s fine, but he reckons you need a 4×4. Anyone got access to one to haul gear out there? The gate before the building at the Hams is locked but you can at least get most of the way. I’m planning on taking the boat out there, leaving about 1900 from the slip by the bridge. If anyone wants me to take some gear I can do. If it ends up being too choppy for the boat I’ll just take the car. The sooner I break it, sooner we can buy a new one.

We were chatting last night and thought it would be simpler to eat beforehand on Friday rather than cooking late out there. If folk can bring some food for a BBQ on Sat night, plus whatever else. I’ll bring fishing rods! Normal CS rule of “don’t just bring meat” ๐Ÿ˜‰

What time are others heading out there, and how are they planning to get out? It’s 3.5km to walk from Little Ayre, so about an hour. The track to drive down isn’t that one though, it’s about 600m before on the right next to some sheep pens.

pete s
    Participant
    #9212 |

hi were going to paddle in Friday midday if its to windy we will bike in with you so we can palm of some kit, I can bring the big tent if you can get it into the car/boat,

Al
    Keymaster
    #9214 |

ah forgot you were off! well i guess if some people can make it earlier you might want to sort a meal out. For us latecomers we’ll eat before. I can take the tent and some bulky gear no problem. Leave it at the muckle roe slip if you want it taking. Are you paddling in from the bridge (north)? seems the shorter route.

Ross
    Participant
    #9215 |

John and Al and I will be driving in Friday afternoon after we have hopefully climbed somewhere. Aim is to bag Tame Holm on Saturday morning and get them to the ferry afterwards. I have driven up the track a couple of times and parked at the top before the hill down to the Hams. It was fine for my car. I can’t remember what the track down the hill is like, but this may well be drivable. Not sure from which direction I’ll becoming from but happy to drive stuff in, as long as I don’t have to carry it all from whereever I leave the car!

Fat Git
    Participant
    #9216 |

Which slip Al? The marina on the north side of the sound, the one by the bridge or the pier further west?

Al
    Keymaster
    #9217 |

The new marina on the north (brae) side has the best slip I think.

Ross, I spoke to the crofter who said that the track had got quite a bit worse recently. That’s not to say it won’t be ok but he didn’t think a car would fair too well on the potholes. Just to let you know…

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #9219 |

“donโ€™t just bring meat” Well, we need rolls to put it in of course! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ross
    Participant
    #9220 |

When the weather finally cleared up this afternoon we opted for a quick trip to Picts Ness as we thought it would be dry and it was. The track was fine up to the spot 2/3rd along where you walk in for the crag so we’ll drive in on Friday and see what its like further up. J&A’s Audi would have touched down a couple of times though.

Ross
    Participant
    #9222 |

For those boating in, where are you planning to camp? I think we’ll probably park up at the fords, so we’ll still have a km to haul the kit? I’m assuming it will be at South Ham at the end of the road.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9224 |

There is an area of flat grass at the south side of North Ham which we thought looked good.

Al
    Keymaster
    #9245 |

Cracking weekend! Although maybe a bit too literally for Jonathan.

longa
    Participant
    #9247 |

Really?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.