Mavis Grind

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #4263 |

I wandered up to Mavis Grind quarry this afternoon to try out my industrial abseiler with my new ab rope. While checking the stakes at the top of the bolted wall I noticed they all seemed to have a bit more “play” on them than I would have liked. One of them though, an aluminium one with two krabs on it, needed only a few firm pulls in the direction of loading to come right out.
    I notice they’re all driven into the bulldozed ridges of earth and rubble made when they “landscaped” the quarry rather than solid ground.
    Now I didn’t put them in, so I don’t know how firm it is, and presumably they were well dangled on during the bolting, but I’d be careful if you’re going there.
    I mention this because the place seems like a reasonable one for teaching this year’s beginners to abseil, independent of sea conditions. As Andrew mentioned to me once, there are also possibilities for some reasonably easy climbing in the upper quarry. I’ll pay a few more mid-week visits with ab rope and crowbar I think.
    By the way, the fancy double-action abseiler is rubbish. Safe all right, in the sense that a car is safe if it won’t run.
    Whoever owns the stake and krabs, I have them.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #4895 |

Hmm, strange, the stakes were bombproof when we bolted the routes. The only thing I can think of is that the ground might be softer because of all the rain..

Not so sure about teaching people to abseil off the top of that wall, there’s a LOT of loose rock up at the top! The stakes are there mainly for bolting.

Krabs/stake are both Paul’s.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4896 |

Interesting that Andy as I left them there because I couldn’t get them out! There are also 2 5ft stakes driven in 41/2 ft so I’ll try to get those out now too. They weren’t left for others to use and we haven’t mentioned much about the quarry as it still needs a good bit of cleaning before I’d be happy taking others there or really want to mention it as a venue proper.

Could meet you there one afternoon if you want to check out the upper tier. I can show you the 7 new lines we’d like to bolt. 3 very easy (4s) 4 harder (5-7)

longa
    Participant
    #4901 |

I wasn’t necessarily thinking of using the bolt wall for ab teaching, rather the slabby bits in the upper quarry. I take your point about needing more cleaning but I think it might be worth it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4903 |

There is a very good area for abseiling opposite the bolted wall of the lower tier. Its the red wall that we will eventually bolt as 2 low grade routes. The top is good and level and without an awkward edge to ab off. Easy to put good stakes in or even some bolts on the large boulders.

I’d help clean that if you think it’s sutable Andy, then I can get it bolted too. Its also dry all year round, as in no seepage.

Al
    Keymaster
    #4906 |

It’ll be good to get some more done on this. As I mentioned to Paul I now know a few of the active sport climbing guys who are currently bolting new crags on Gower. I’ll see where they get their equipment and might be able to get some better prices, especially for loweroffs which seem stupidly expensive!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4907 |

Popped along the quarry again at lunchtime today and it was really warm in there, Capillary Action was drying out well, climbable to the 4th bolt and the two routes at the far right were much drier than they have been of late. If the rain doesn’t keep coming the wall should be in condition in a couple of weeks.
    Lets hope we get a reasonable spring.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.