May Club Trip – Unst – 9/10th

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Al
    Keymaster
    #11327 |

We’re thinking Unst for the first club weekender of the year. 9th/10th May but depending on the forecast I guess folk may arrive on the 8th?

Skaw Point has some good routes and potential for exploring. The crag might not be the most picturesque with the WWII huts but at least they give a pre-made BBQ/beer tent! Plan is to camp at the crag. If the weather’s not the best it’s a nice place for walks and there’s Saza Vord for food or the Baltasound pub.

Please post up if you’re coming. Members and non-members welcome. The crag is suitable for beginners too.

http://shetlandclimbing.info/?trad-crag=skaw-point-the-buss

[poll question=”Are you coming?” answers=”Yes,Maybe,Can’t Make It” options=”public”]

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #11329 |

Yup, should be fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #11330 |

Keeeeeeeeen.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #11331 |

I’m in

Al
    Keymaster
    #11334 |

nice early season keen-ness there! I’m testing a polls thing, see above. don’t know if it’s useful or not really?

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #11335 |

“I dunno keeen” šŸ˜›

Haha. Have feature; will use.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #11344 |

It’s Lamba Ness though. Skaw is the headland to the north with the Holm of Skaw off the end of it.

Al
    Keymaster
    #11348 |

Yeah good point, think I should change the crag name to just “Skaw” as there are crags from Lamba Ness through to Forn Geo, so this probably best describes it? Or maybe Lamba Ness & Skaw?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #11355 |

Sounds good to me

Al
    Keymaster
    #11365 |

I was chatting to a few people at the wall who seemed unaware of this trip. We have quite a few new climbers around at the moment and it’d be great to see you there. For the benefit of those people… You don’t have to be a member to come on club trips, and this trip will be perfect for a first time outside and also very good for someone wanting to lead their first climb. The club have spare gear that can be lent out and if you ask then someone may have spare shoes your size too. You don’t have to come for both days and if you’re struggling for transport just ask for a lift, plenty of folk coming from Lerwick area. šŸ™‚

pete s
    Participant
    #11368 |

we will be there.
    i will let owner know im sure there will be no prob.

julie maguire
    Participant
    #11369 |

Pete and I will be coming Should have spare shoes and harnesses.

Kevin
    Keymaster
    #11392 |

I’m up for coming. Will be coming by car from Scalloway, but can pick up from Lerwick if anyone needs lift.

longa
    Participant
    #11393 |

Yes I’m up for it too. The Boss says there’s nothing booked for that w/e.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #11394 |

For anyone who isn’t aware already, if you’re going to Unst from the mainland you only need to pay on the Yell Sound ferry, not on both. Keep your ticket to wave at the crewman on the Bluemull ferry

Fat Git
    Participant
    #11408 |

Forecast for Saturday looks good for surfing on Fetlar :p

stejay
    Participant
    #11411 |

I’m in! Anyone (wi a spare kayak!) planning a spot of paddling as well??

Fat Git
    Participant
    #11412 |

Wash your mouth out with Dettol Stevie. What do you think this is – a canoe club???
    (OK – I’ll bring a spare kayak)

Al
    Keymaster
    #11413 |

Absolute disgrace. But yes I’ll bring 2 boats. Weather’s looking a bit breezy but ok.

So le plan then… Most people seem keen on the idea of going up Friday night and the 1855 ferry from Toft seems to be the best bet, connecting to the 2005 to Unst. I suggest to save on cars (and cost) we meet at Toft 1830ish.

Map of approx where we’ll camp: http://goo.gl/HSYJ1Z

Shall we book a meal at Saxa Vord for Saturday night? Or could brave a BBQ?

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #11414 |

I’m reliably informed that this would probably be a really nice spot to camp (isn’t obvious from the road apparently): Link

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.