new crag little bouster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • pete s
    Participant
    #4264 |

ive put new crag (HU219580 near papa stour) on ukc if you stick on the routes discription i will sort out the rest,
    pete
    ps if its not new can you let me know

Al
    Keymaster
    #4914 |

nice one. what’s it like?

pete s
    Participant
    #4915 |

Short walkin vdif to hvs 10 routes first climbed there last summer good rock. only prob is a bit short at10-12meters.

pete s
    Participant
    #4916 |

Just found a chart with the right name
    <p>wait for it
    <p>the skerry of stools so the the cliff must just be a stool
    .what a theme and i dont meen chairs

longa
    Participant
    #4917 |

Nice day so went there this afternoon. It is pleasant, if small. I’ve had a number of probes along that bit of coast over the years but not that far west. There’s some bigger stuff east of there but the rock is rubbish. There seems to be just that little bit of half-decent rock.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4918 |

Sounds like a nice little cragging venue.

I walked out west from where the Papa ferry sails from a few years back and seem to remember there being some potential out there too. Again not all that big though maybe 20m at best but a bit of a slog in.

Me and Andrew have been scouting out north of Skeldaness and only have one more fairly short bit of coast to check out before we get to Pobie Skeo. Apart from Culswick a ridiculously overhanging monster crag and a very small but perfectly formed bouldering venue there’s suprisingly little to report.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #4925 |

Twas nice rock. The geological maps show the same stuff to the east – north of Brindister around Neeans. The cliffs are up to 50m and the aerial pics look interesting. Has anyone looked at this area? I’m thinking to go scouting this weekend if anyone fancies joining me.

pete s
    Participant
    #4926 |

might well come along saturday ,or sunday after 12

Fat Git
    Participant
    #4927 |

Sunday aft. looks the better weather forecast

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4928 |

Yeah, me and Al walked out there a couple of years ago, we walked from Engamoor, which is the right turning before the Papa ferry pier and went north east around the headland. We walked about half way round to the shallow valley and followed this back inland to where we started. I remember there were bits of potential but no real crags to develop on that bit. Looking north from there looked a bit chossy so we went hunting for bouldering on the low outcrops on the hill. Again we found bits but no venue so never went back.

I think north west of Brindister may yeald something but I recon more likely bouldering on short cliffs and inland outcrops rather than anything on the bigger cliffs, still be worth a scout out though and be a nice walk.

longa
    Participant
    #4929 |

I had a look at the Neeans about three years ago. I’d often noticed its striking profile when driving west over the top from Voe. Very chossy and broken close up, but I’d be happy to go there again, after all I’ve missed stuff before! I did notice some small but interesting stuff on the opposite side of Brindister voe, around the Hurds which I’ve been meaning to take a look at.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4930 |

Yeah those outcrops of the Hurds look like they may have something worth climbing Andy. I had a look through the bins when I was last there, though looked very lichenous. I’ve got a feeling that the wall south of this just off the voe is where Simon Colvin was on about when he spoke of an inland 10m crag that he climbed. He used to live on the west side and raved about this mystery wall but I never got the details of exactly where it was. He also said there was some worth while bouldering there too, its the most likely candidate and he did say it was visible from the car.

longa
    Participant
    #4931 |

Might be the place to go on Sunday. Only a short walk from Noonsbrough.
    I’ve always been struck by how little decent climbing there seems to be on the West Side. A pity because scenically it’s got some of the most spectacular stretches of coastline.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4932 |

I was hoping to get out for the walk on Sunday but am having to taking my car to be fixed now. Catch up some other time.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4933 |

Did you find anything out there worth climbing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.