New members.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    #9703 |

Hi!
    My name is Pablo, and I arrived in Shetland a month ago from Spain. Me and my girlfriend Jenny are very interested in climbing, but never tried it before. It would be great if anyone could inform us how the club works, and how we can join.

Thanx in advance!

Keymaster
    #9708 |

Hi Pablo. Welcome to Shetland. That’s great you’re interested. We meet regularly (ish) to climb outside and you’d be welcome to join us – just keep an eye on these forums and invite yourself along. If it’s not a suitable place for beginners we’ll let you know! The club have some basic gear you could borrow to try climbing – if you enjoy it then go ahead and join the club (£28/year I think). We have a weekend coming up in September although we’re not sure where we’ll be going yet. No doubt people will be heading out at other times too.

The climbing season doesn’t have long left though so your best bet might be the indoor wall at the Clickimin Leisure Centre. The club have sessions on Monday night 7.30-9.30pm all year. You’d need to get an induction sorted to climb and the man for that is Andy Long. Hopefully he’ll see this post and let you know how best to get your inductions done.

Cheers. Al

Participant
    #9713 |

To clarify Al’s post – You can come to the wall sessions and climb if someone competent belays you (i.e .holds the rope). The induction is only necessary for you to belay. The first Monday in the month is generally the session for beginners (I think)

Keymaster
    #9714 |

oh yeah forgot about that!

Participant
    #9716 |

I have seen the post. I am Andy Long. I am THE INDUCTOR.

Monday Sept 1st. Be there.

#9718 |

Sounds like a date. xD

See you guys there, and thanx!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.