New ropes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #4259 |

Pete Richardson has replaced the wall ropes. The new ones are slightly longer so people don’t have to stand on tiptoe to tie on.

rockhoppers mate
    Participant
    #4866 |

Woo hoo! That’s great news

Al
    Keymaster
    #4867 |

Has anyone considered buying wall quickdraws to put on some routes to encourage leading?

£9 each so wouldn’t break the bank. http://www.ep-uk.com/store/product/58/200

longa
    Participant
    #4868 |

D’you mean get enough to equip all the panels? As it is we seem to have enough for the ones who want to lead.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4869 |

Probably be better to have the two biggest panels permanently equipt as it would encourage leading. Adds another dimension to an otherwise straight forward wall too, £72 well spent I’d say.

rockhopper
    Participant
    #4872 |

All the panels have bolts on for quickdraws to be clipped into for lead climbing.
    We only have one dynamic lead rope and one set of quickdraws, so if we’re going to get more quickdraws you might as well buy a lead rope as well.
    As for encoraging leading, I agree with Andy, anyway most of the time it’s too busy at the wall to lead climb without taking over a panel.

Al
    Keymaster
    #4873 |

Yeah I’d suggest equipping panels 1,2 and 3. Leading only takes so long because of clipping and then removing quickdraws. Virtually every indoor wall has quickdraws permanently on all but the beginner walls. Just a suggestion…

I’m not using the wall, so not my decision, just occurred to me climbing at a fairly small wall in Swansea last week where more than half the people were leading routes and only a few people were top roping. Surprised me a bit that leading was the norm.

…not to mention the 12 year old girl who effortlessly led a 6a overhanging wall I’d just fought like buggery to get up!

longa
    Participant
    #4874 |

12 year-old girls are incredibly flexible, have amazing power-to-weight ratio and no fear. Is it any wonder the East Germans used to put their top gymnasts on special drugs to delay puberty?

Al
    Keymaster
    #4875 |

As ever the fountain of random knowledge Andy!

rockhoppers mate
    Participant
    #4876 |

As someone with little natural aptitude for leading I think that you really need to practice the whole process of trying to identify the quickdraw on your harness (out of all the other random bits of metal that are there), unclipping it from your harness, clipping it on the wall (the right way up) and then wrestling to get the rope through it (the right way round) – so I don’t think it would be very helpful having quickdraws already there. Part of the challenge for me is managing to hold on with one arm long enough to do all those things. If it’s just a case of clipping in to pre hanging quick draws then it’s a much faster process. It doesn’t really help you make the transition to leading outside when you have to hang around even longer as you try to place your gear.
    For the record I had lots of fear as a 12 year old despite my flexibility 🙂

pete s
    Participant
    #4881 |

every wall ive been on(12) has pre placed QD’s the only prob would be the clickamin as its there wall.
    who would be responsible for insurance and maintainance?
    shouldnt the click pay for them?

Al
    Keymaster
    #4885 |

Yes but the won’t. Buy them from Entreprises (who made the wall and supplied all the gear) and I don’t think there would be an issue. Just ask EP how often they recommend changing them…

longa
    Participant
    #4888 |

They’ll get nicked…

Al
    Keymaster
    #4889 |

nah, they have maillons on them and you couldn’t nick them without a spanner – which is a lot of effort for a heavy steel quickdraw! Anyway, folk don’t seem too bothered / keen – it was only a suggestion!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.