Ropework

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
    Participant
    #12097 |

We’ve currently got some keen and able climbers in the club who nonetheless might appreciate some formal ropework tuition. Recent outings have indicated that the ad-hoc teaching while climbing is patchy and rushed at best and doesn’t necessarily get through to everyone. I’m thinking of proper setting up of belays, multi-pitch stance changeovers, simple emergencies – who can tie an Italian Hitch for instance?
    It would be nice to do it as a seminar-type thingy. Those of us doing the teaching are bound to have developed bad habits which we can thrash out among us.
    I suggest an afternoon or evening at Islesburgh rather than the wall. Too many distractions and not enough room for the task in hand. In a room you can set up umpteen belays on tables and chairs. They’ll also provide tea, coffee and biccies! We could go for a meal/pint afterwards.
    I know it’s end of season but it means that the summer’s experience, with any problems met, will be fresh in peoples’ minds. There could be a refresher in the Spring.

Participant
    #12098 |

Good idea if I’m about I will be happy to come along its always good to have a refresher .

Keymaster
    #12099 |

Yeah good idea. Perhaps a few of the so-called “experienced” climbers could demonstrate how they’d tackle a specific situation so people get to see a few methods, but too many can be very confusing and not very helpful!

It’s worth mentioning to these folk who are getting going, we all started the same way, learnt some bad techniques and probably made several (fortunately minor) mistakes. But we have also nearly all been on an Single Pitch Award training weekend which shows you the proper way of doing things, and I found extremely useful. I doubt there are enough to warrant another one, but a bit of informal tuition like this might be a good substitute.

Participant
    #12100 |

Good idea!
    (rule one – no bowlines :p )

Participant
    #12101 |

Perish the thought!

OK for the odd poofter to turn up though.

#12102 |

Yes please that’s a great idea!

Keymaster
    #12103 |

Good idea. Count me in. Most times ok, but avoid October holidays.

Participant
    #12116 |

When are the October holidays? I’ve provisionally booked a room for Sat 10th October 4.00 till 6.00. Is that do-able? If not I need to know soon.

Keymaster
    #12117 |

Fine for me.

Keymaster
    #12118 |

Im away from Fri 9 Oct to tue 27. Im available any time before or after these dates.

Participant
    #12119 |

OK Kev, I’ll re-book for late October. Couldn’t get the 3rd. As it was, the 10th was going to clash with the accordian & fiddle fest. We could have had the room but there would probably been a certain amount of extraneous noise. Also there’ll be less chance of fine weather seducing people out onto the crags.

Participant
    #12120 |

Right. Session now re-booked for Oct 31st. 4.00 till 6.00 pm. Room 10, Islesburgh Community Centre. Tea & biccies trolley booked.

Is THAT all right?

Why the hell go away in October anyway? Where do they all go? Leaf-peeping in New England?

Keymaster
    #12121 |

Yup, 31/10 is fine for me.

October = school holidays, and it’s into winter here but other places still warm!

Participant
    #12128 |

Currently south organising my dad’s funeral and helping to clear out the house, but will be back well before then.

Keymaster
    #12129 |

Sorry to hear about that Andy.

Participant
    #12136 |

OK folks. This Saturday, 31st October. Room 10 Islesburgh Community Centre. 4.00 – 6.00 pm.

Bring your own harness & belay plate. Can also bring any other odds and ends of slings & crabs.

Are people wanting to go for a meal afterwards? If so, where?

Keymaster
    #12137 |

Great, but won’t be able to do a meal afterwards as we have a concert at Mareel at 7pm. We might leave early to get some food.

Participant
    #12138 |

Actually, I’ve just been reminded we’re going to the concert at Mareel too, so meal’s off for me. Lot’s of knots still on in the afternoon though!

Keymaster
    #12139 |

Ah I thought you might be going… Might be time for a bar snack at Mareel.

Keymaster
    #12140 |

Hmm, bit quiet on here – hope some folk are actually going to turn up!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.