Sharma

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Andrew
    Keymaster
    #4361 |

So this is what Sharma’s up to these days! Make sure you’re not eating/drinking when you read this..

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/05/rock-star-3/

Al
    Keymaster
    #5610 |

hahaha

longa
    Participant
    #5611 |

He comes from California, what d’you expect.

“…Catalonia, the sport’s new epicenter…”, hmmm – I think a few would take issue there, and not just with the spelling (although it’s perfectly correct American practise and anyway it doesn’t matter because it’s a terrible metaphor but then you wouldn’t expect the kind of tosser who becomes an advertising copywriter to know wtf an epicentre is). I suspect that the likes of Chris Sharma and his odious sponsors would have us believe that the very fact that he lives there defines it as such.

So there.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #5612 |

I presume you’re deliberately using the American spelling of the noun “practice” there Andy 😉

longa
    Participant
    #5613 |

Quite right. Put it down to my state of mind.

Al
    Keymaster
    #5614 |

Well, I did watch an interesting vid on Sharma the other day… At least it shows the pure climber side of him – the flip side to his bizarre international stardom and face cream.

longa
    Participant
    #5615 |

I suppose I’m showing my age as usual. I’ve seen hundreds of climbing stars shooting across the firmament. They have fleeting and insecure careers. Some die, most fade but while they shine they’re billed as the greatest thing ever to touch rock. I once heard a talk by Ken Wilson in which he described the way that he would build people up in his magazine while they were performing well and drop them as soon as they stopped, the classic exploitative story arc. It was this raw capitalism combined with his extreme left-wing politics that made Wilson such a “fascinating” character. It’s a pity he now has alzheimers.

But anyway, Sharma’s obviously just another very good climber who’ll take on any old crap to support his climbing while the going’s good. It used to be building sites, or the bins. Or instructing.

pete s
    Participant
    #5616 |

If hese going to be sponserd for male products at least it should be something tough like veet for men(check out the reviews) then he would earn some respect!

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5617 |

I’m not so sure about that Andy. He has been – by a considerable margin – the most famous ‘rock’ climber in the world for over a decade now. His magazine interviews, sponsors etc are a cut above those of the average ‘sponsored hero’.
    As an example of this, I can’t think of a single other ‘famous’ climber who I would not be remotely surprised to see appearing in the NY Times Men’s Fashion section extolling the virtues of skincream!

Personally I find him a bit boring, but I certainly wouldn’t class him as “just another” very good climber. The fact that he’s one of, if not THE, only climber to make a decent living purely from climbing surely says something.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5618 |

I’m getting a bit worried about you, Pete…. 😉

longa
    Participant
    #5619 |

A decade is fleeting in my book…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #5620 |

If you make your living out of what is generally a pastime for everyone else, then you’re likely going to be somebodys poodle somewhere along the line. At the end of the day Sharma does as he’s told by his sponsors, smiles (or screams) for the camera and everyones happy. He’ll be gone from the cutting edge soon enough and no doubt will write a book about his achievements to drag out his waining career just like Moffatt and Moon etc. It’s a bit like the reforming aged rock groups that run out of cash and reform to cash in on the past glory.

But one things for sure, non of us are going to lower ourselves to such standards and advertise climbing gear, write books about our past exploits or do a series of talks on when we were at the top of our game cos we are better than that. I’m pretty sure that climbing ability has nothing to do with any of it!

pete s
    Participant
    #5621 |

Of course ability has nowt to do with it give me cash i will rub just about anything.(was going to say onto my skin but why reduce the market oppertunity!)

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5624 |

Absolutely a decade is fleeting but as far as I know there’s never been another climber that’s been undisputedly the most famous in the world (both within and without the climbing scene) for that period of time; although I obviously wasn’t around in the dim and distant past, so feel free to send my theory down in flames!! 😛

longa
    Participant
    #5628 |

“Best” and “most famous” are not the same. Again, in my long and mediocre climbing career I’ve come across some phenomenal climbers that nobody’s ever heard of.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5629 |

Oh no, he’s definitely not the best (an unquantifiable notion anyway)!! He’s just had “success” and “fame” on a level unheard of and unattainable by any other climber to date. It’s a bizarre notion, a climber promoting skincare products! Maybe we’ll see Dave Mac in a L’Oreal advert; surely it’s about time his E11-era long hair made a comeback!?? “Because I’m worth it!” 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #5630 |

Its a phenomenon to come across climbers that people have heard of, isn’t that the point?

Al
    Keymaster
    #5631 |

I’m sorry but I’ll be forced to close this thread if there’s any more talk of skin care or hair products.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #5632 |

And there I was thinking you were best qualified to contribute advice… 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.