SPA Course

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
    Participant
    #4440 |

Pete Richardson has agreed to do SPA training.

He’s provisionally put down the 27th and 28th July.

We need at least 4 but the more the merrier. If you are interested then let me know ASAP.

Participant
    #6154 |

Count me in!

AndrewAndrew
    Keymaster
    #6155 |

I’ll be away on holiday, but am probably not interested anyway.

Keymaster
    #6156 |

I’ll make sure I’m there to give unhelpful contradictory advice.

Participant
    #6181 |

OK – I’ve been persuaded. Count me in.

#6182 |

The merrier, I want to SPA it.

#6188 |

Well By the looks of it I may just be kicking about this summer now… Count me in… need to get some lead climbs in now!

Keymaster
    #6198 |

Speaking to a few people about this, not everyone seems to understand exactly what’s involved so thought I’d post up… The course is really aimed at teaching the skills to take novices out climbing at single pitch crags (ones you can walk to the bottom and walk off the top of and are non-tidal), so excludes sea cliffs etc.

It doesn’t teach you to lead, to climb outdoors or anything like that, but will certainly help your skills for this, and that’s the main reason several of us did it in 2005. Most never intended to do the assessment.

According to the MTA who administer the course, you should have been climbing for a year and have led 15 climbs outside on lead placed protection before doing the training. Pete Richardson might be flexible with this so worth getting in touch if you’re not sure.

After the training you need to gain more experience before doing the assessment. This can take a long time and you’ll need to have done 40 lead climbs outside mostly severe or above on a variety of rock types and crags and assisted supervising climbing for at least 20 sessions (this is tricky to do in Shetland, but possible).

This BMC video is pretty good:

http://vimeo.com/27099005

More info: http://www.mountain-training.org/award-schemes/spa

If you are going to do it you’ll need to sign up to the MTA on the page above. This costs £39 and I think you need your MCofS member number which Andy should be able to get for you.

You should also buy the course handbook and read up a bit beforehand especially if its all new to you. Its a great book to have anyway. I think there is one at the library. http://goo.gl/EdYM2

Participant
    #6212 |

Hmmm, the provisional date is about a week before I move to Shetland so I can’t make it. If it ends up being scheduled for a week or two later I’ll be up for it. Please let me know if the date changes!

Participant
    #6213 |

The date would depend on Pete Richardson I guess..? I could the following weekend as well but not the one after that.

Participant
    #6215 |

If you just want to do the training without the assessment, do you need to sign up to the MTA?

Keymaster
    #6216 |

Not sure about that one. Probably not though.

Participant
    #6248 |

I’ve been sorting out some details with Pete Richardson. He’s needing at least 4 registered people to run the course.
    (MTA – see link from Al’s post, your MCoS number is the same as last years and it’s on your membership card.)
    So far I’ve registered and so has Ruby, so we’re needing two more.
    The cost for the training for registered people is £120.
    If you want to do just the training he has agreed to this at £60.
    This may come down as there maybe some funds available from the club.
    The dates are 27th July (Sat) 28th July and also a session on the climbing wall on Monday night.

Participant
    #6298 |

Hi there, I’ve just registered 🙂

Participant
    #6319 |

Noo den, unfortunately i’m working that weekend.
    I found the training wothwhile the last time i did it.

Participant
    #6320 |

Not up to me, I just look after the money, but I don’t see any objection to subsidising this. I believe we did discuss it informally. A committee decision would make it kosher.

Participant
    #6321 |

To add to what Al said above, the SPA course certainly sharpens up your rope technique, choice of anchors etc. Just remember that it is an instructing certificate, though some people seem to regard it as a de-facto climbing qualification. Thankfully there are no qualifications in climbing and may it remain so always. That said, we all find ourselves taking out novices from time to time and are in this respect all teachers, so familiarity with the specific skills isn’t a bad thing.

Participant
    #6326 |

Hey Guys

just to confirm the details for the SPA course

To complete the ( official ) training you need to be registered with mountain training link below ( at a cost of £39.00 one off payment).

However if you would like to come along for the learning and not the award you can…

I do need 4 registered candidates

I aim to deliver a fun informative training covering the syllabus as recommended, but more importantly i want to share my experiences of teaching climbing professionally for the last 25 years ( and delivering SPA training/assessments since the mid 90’s) , and inspire you to get out climbing.

As mentioned the training will take place on saturday 27th and 28th and sunday with a follow up session on the wall on Monday evening.

Venues to be confirmed on the day in light of weather and conditions. I suggest we make contact via mobile about 8.00 and aim to be at the meeting place by 9.30 ( the days are pretty full so we haven’t got time to be late …. )

As long as you have climbed outside, and enjoy climbing there will be something in this training for every one ( i am not to fussed if you have not lead any climbs .. and there will be no pressure to lead on the weekend unless of course you resist ) .

Here is a brief description from mountain trainings website

Single Pitch Award Overview

This award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to supervise climbers on single pitch crags and climbing walls. Common activities undertaken by an SPA holder will be roped climbing and bouldering. The SPA does not include the skills and techniques required to teach lead climbing.

To register you should have a genuine interest in rock climbing and the supervision of groups on single pitch crags. You should have at least twelve months rock climbing experience and be at least eighteen years of age. You should also be an individual or club member of a mountaineering council.
    Registration cost is £39 per award

copy and paste link into your browser if you want to register

https://cms.mountain-training.org/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f%3futm_source%3dwww.mountain-training.org%26utm_medium%3dlink%26utm_campaign%3dSingle%252BPitch%252BAward&utm_source=www.mountain-training.org&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Single%2BPitch%2BAward

If you are coming please let me know by email p894richardson@btinternet.com or text/call 07833298221

You will need to bring your own personal climbing kit, ropes ( if you have any ) food , etc

any questions just ask or call

looking forward to climbing with you all

Pete

Participant
    #6327 |

oops forgot to mention if you are already registered you can book this course online through the mountain training website

Pete

Participant
    #6331 |

The first day is somewhere in the south mainland. Pete is going to tell me where tomorrow and I’ll text the folk who aren’t getting picked up by me. We aim to start at 0930. If anyone is needing picking up let me know. I’m already taking Diane and Jonathan. We’re getting the 0830 off Bressay.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.