Summer wall bookings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #11504 |

Last year the block booking system was extended to run from August to June. This means that the present booking ends on 22nd June and the next begins on 3rd August.

In the past we’ve found that wall attendance tails off in the summer, with a resultant loss to the club. In the past the Clickimin staff have been happy to give me an ad-hoc block booking over the intervening period. Andrew and me discussed this last night and thought that it might be an idea, this year, to simply make individual bookings for those five Mondays. One of us simply makes the booking a few days ahead (making sure the staff know it’s an individual, not club booking). Anybody else who turns up simply pays the Click as usual. The club doesn’t make anything, but it doesn’t lose anything either. If it’s a nice night and folks would rather go out climbing, we can just cancel the booking.

The only drawback that I can see is with people turning up on spec, who’re not authorised, or people not being aware of the new system. A mass e-mail to everyone should help.

What do people think?

Al
    Keymaster
    #11505 |

We never discussed this at the AGM but personally I would go as far as not running wall sessions at all from May to July. Instead, run a weekly outdoor session on a Monday (or another day) at a beginner-friendly and central venue like Bannaminn, Muckle Hell, NoS, Pundsar etc. If the weather is pants then you book the wall instead.

The 5-week period might be a good trial for this… People would just need to check the forum/Facebook the day before.

Downside of private bookings is that 2 hours climbing would cost about £8 – too much in my opinion

longa
    Participant
    #11506 |

The block booking info says that preference will be given to groups which book for the whole period. I’m not saying we wouldn’t get a block ending in May but it’s possible.

Anyway, I put the form in yesterday as I’m going away and it had to be in by 11th June.

I agree £8.00 is a lot.

L’escargot
    Participant
    #11567 |

I guess the time will remain the same and the 6.30pm-8.30pm slot is still unavailable..?

Kevin
    Keymaster
    #11572 |

What’s the breakeven numbers for making wall sessions worthwhile? #

I enjoy the Monday wall sessions and worry I would get out of the habit of climbing if I wasn’t climbing at least once a week. Trips outside on a regular weeknight sound great, but the weather factor can make any attempt at a regular night a bit hit and miss.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #11584 |

I guess the time will remain the same and the 6.30pm-8.30pm slot is still unavailable..?

We requested 6:30-8:30, but I’m not holding out any hope we’ll get it!

longa
    Participant
    #11587 |

The cost of an exclusive booking is £39.00 for the two hours, so that’s 10 if all members or 7 if all non-members.

I’m quite happy to keep on with the exclusive bookings over the summer if the club is happy to take the (admittedly not very big) hit. We’ve managed it OK for the last few years. The weather is a big factor as Kev points out. On the other hand I’d hate people to feel under pressure to go to the wall on a lovely evening just for the sake of the club.

On the subject of weather, it’s crap down here in the Lakes too. Went up Blencathra yesterday but decided against Sharp Edge because of the gale. Sitting in Esquires cafe in Ambleside prior to heading down to Manchester to visit my sister.

Al
    Keymaster
    #11588 |

Yeah it is a tricky one. To be honest it makes more sense for the central folk to decide. Even though we plan to come to the wall in summer it inevitably doesn’t happen much as there’s too much to do round here.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #11590 |

A big part of it when we were discussing things on Mon was that someone has to turn up every Monday for the session to collect the money. Usually this is Andy and I didn’t feel it was fair to expect him to hang around the Clickimin on a sunny evening when he’d rather be out. I know on the rare occasions Andy’s away I definitely don’t want to be tied down on a good bouldering night. Last year there was about a month solid of sunny Mondays that I didn’t turn up.
    If we had a good way of dealing with that problem I wouldn’t mind either way, as long as we don’t make a huge loss.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.