The End (for now)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • longa
    Participant
    #12579 |

Just to let you all know, if you didn’t already, that the main hall at Clickimin is closing down next Monday for a month for maintenance. So there’ll be no wall and I suspect that’s it. Last Monday will have been the last, though it’s possible to book it for a session over the weekend if we want to.
    Sorry I wasn’t there on Monday, I was down in The Lakes, soloing and walking and visiting old mates.
    I arrived in England expecting them all to be in the pub singing “Rule Britannia”, “Roll out the Barrel” etc. but they were all too tired. They’d been up at 3 a.m. kicking all the local immigrants out of bed before herding them into cattle trucks and shipping them down to the Channel Tunnel.

Hawky
    Participant
    #12582 |

Definitely interested in a final climb on the wall on Sunday, if anybody else is!?

Al
    Keymaster
    #12583 |

Is it worth us putting out some sort of press release on this? Thinking as the SRT probably don’t want to draw attention to it we could just put something in the paper to say we are looking forward to a new and hopefully improved wall at the Clickimin or elsewhere in the near future and will welcome new climbers again after then? (something positive rather than negative!)

longa
    Participant
    #12585 |

Yes I think so. We could put in a picture with it. I’ll have a think about it, unless somebody else wants to. I’ll run it by you and others before submitting.

Al
    Keymaster
    #12586 |

Good stuff. If we waited until after the nature festival that would give a bit more to write about, although last year that was featured anyway.

Hawky
    Participant
    #12593 |

I’d love to have a final climb on the wall tomorrow afternoon/night for old times sake, if anyone else is interested. I understand Andy has to book it through Climb Shetland, as they don’t accept casual bookings anymore.

longa
    Participant
    #12594 |

I’m going to try and book it for an hour tomorrow. Will contact them in the morning. Watch this post.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #12595 |

Press release is a good idea, Al.

Fat Git
    Participant
    #12597 |

Working title “It’s the end of the wall as we know it!”

longa
    Participant
    #12598 |

Hi folks, I’ve managed to book the wall for an hour at 2.30. The lass on the desk had to book us in as “badminton” because the wall has already been taken off the system, and I need at least one other person to make it kosher. Thought I’d go out somewhere local afterwards.

Hawky
    Participant
    #12599 |

I’ll be there at 2:30. I’m also up for climbing afterwards!

Kevin
    Keymaster
    #12600 |

Ill also be there for wall and some rock after that.
    Kevin

Verena
    Participant
    #12603 |

I suppose that some people won’t know about tonight not happening so I’m suggesting to still meet up and have a drink at the mareel instead šŸ™‚ thoughts?

longa
    Participant
    #12604 |

That would be nice. We could even go for a boulder at The Sletts first.

Hawky
    Participant
    #12605 |

Count me in!

Kevin
    Keymaster
    #12606 |

Sounds good, is someone going to be at Clickimin to redirect, or leave a note at wall or reception?
    I can be at Mareel about 8:30

Verena
    Participant
    #12607 |

Just came back from work and going to tesco so I could go to the clickimin and leave a note at the reception and meet you at the mareel at 8pm

longa
    Participant
    #12608 |

I’ll redirect. And I’ll be at Mareel at about 8.00. Sky looks a bit threatening but I might wander down to the Sletts about 7.00. It’s only 100m after all…

Just been to Pundsar. I think I’ve worked out a modus operandi for friday.

Kasabellabee
    Participant
    #12631 |

We are just up here a couple of months and I was looking forward to using the wall – slightly disappointed when I went to look at it but hey ho it is what it is…..was planning on coming to meet on Mon and been told the wall is shut with no prospective plans for reopen/relocation!! I’ve just called Clickimin and was told it was shut because you need ‘so many qualifications to climb’!!!!! I was interested to know what these were having been climbing for years at Glasgow walls with none! I have to say I lost my rag slightly when the massive kept declaring that I was wrong and I need all of these qualifications to climb!!!! None of which she could name! I’ve been told to call and speak to the manager tomorrow….so in the meantime reverted to my old trusty wall in Glasgow to confirm the utter tripe she was speaking. Confirmed. Seems that this is a permanent shut for reasons unrelated to no CWA qualifieds! I am keen to be involved in plans for new set up so let me know – also keen to get out but not an outdoor lead and limited equipment so need willing and geared buddies! 07480 932 108: Karen šŸ™‚

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.