Wiki

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Andrew
    Keymaster
    #4237 |

‘Lo all.

WARNING: Big post to follow.. 😛

It’s been obvious for a while now that we need somewhere easily accessible and easy to use for writing up new routes. UKC is ok, but not local and doesn’t allow people to quickly list a route for tidying up later. The old website system was a lot of work for Al as everything had to be written out by hand by him and, as a result, didn’t get updated much.

We spoke to Adam Wainwright when he was up about what they’ve done at Gogarth to keep a track of things there (see their wiki http://gogarth.wetpaint.com/ ) and a similar wiki system seems like a good idea for us too. I made one ageees ago after speaking to him but ended up getting busy with other things, so it just sat there for a while, then Al and I had various discussions about how the new website was going to work.

We’ve decided that the best idea is to release the Wiki as it stands and, if we find the time in future, we might look into building a system. It’s a bit basic, but doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Anyone can (should!) sign up and add routes. I think we’ve listed all the main crags, but the Bressay ones could do with being put on (Pete/Julie??) as I don’t know much about them. We’ve dumped a load of stuff on there already, but there’s a lot more needs doing, so get to it!! The Skelda Ness page is probably the most organised, so if you’re doing a crag page try to model it on that, so it’s consistent.

Hopefully everyone’s happy with this way of doing it, I think we’re long overdue for having somewhere to put all this info, I know I’ll find it a lot easier to write my routes up!

http://shetlandclimbing.wetpaint.com/

Let me know if you have any problems. 🙂

Andrew

rockhoppers mate
    Participant
    #4723 |

That’s great Andrew. Not sure I can add anything myself but will give Stu a nudge when he’s back from Inverness…

Al
    Keymaster
    #4724 |

Nice one bud. It’ll be good to start getting everything on there – I’m mad busy at work at the moment so can’t see me managing to do much on it for a while. I’ll link the wiki into climb shetland with an RSS feed. So if you click the + at the bottom of CS you’ll see the latest wiki updates at a glance.

Incidentally, its worth installing a free ad-blocker plugin for firefox (I use AdBlock Plus) or IE – it makes the site so much easier to use. It is possible to pay to take off the ads, but its a ludicrous $20/month!

rockhoppers mate
    Participant
    #4725 |

does that mean magic seaweed won’t fit any more?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4726 |

So Andrew:

Adam Wainwright – as in you know the right-handed starting pitcher for the St Louis Cardinalls?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Wainwright

O-M-G ur so cool :-p

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4727 |

not quite sure what he knows about climbing but lol

Al
    Keymaster
    #4729 |

Ah, so folk use the links then… Well I’ll fit it in around and put them back. Maybe I’ll take the UKC latest off to free up the space.

Andrew
    Keymaster
    #4735 |

Good idea Al. Yeah, the Ads are a bit irritating, but it’s a quick and simple way of doing it for the time being.

I’ll write a news post about it so people actually know it exists, but better wait till after the AGM, so people don’t miss the AGM post. Might queue it actually….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.